Friday, January 26, 2018

California

I packed three cameras for our brief trip to California.  I started shooting the Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim when we got near Palm Springs, tremendously impressed with the vast wind farm there.  Four thousand wind turbines stand beside Highway 10, producing enough electricity to power the whole Coachella Valley.


I managed to make every available wrong turn on the freeways through Los Angeles, but we ultimately arrived at our destination without major mishap.  Canoga Park on the city's north-western fringe is a town of mostly modest homes and small shops.


The place is slow-paced compared to the central city and has the great virtue of being the gateway to Topanga Canyon with its spectacular two-lane curvy road leading down to the coast about twenty miles to the south.


At the end of the canyon road I got my first look at the ocean in twelve years.  The sea was sparkling and calm.


We drove south and parked near the Santa Monica Pier, then took a long walk along the broad sandy beach.


The noon temperature was about 75 degrees; it seemed like a warm Spring day at the beach.


The beach front with its small snack bars and luxury hotels has a timeless quality to it.

 

I learned much later that there had been a tsunami warning occasioned by an Alaska earthquake that morning, but none of the strollers, bikers, or surfers showed any evidence of concern for that eventuality, or any of the other natural calamities that have beset the state recently.


A spectacular day in a dream-like place.

8 comments:

Jim Grey said...

How fun to see into your trip a little. The vuws was a good tool -- it got so much into each shot.

I've been to CA only three or four times in my life. Only once was it not on business, and that one other time it was for a sad family matter. I'd love to rent a convertible and drive the PCH one day.

Mike said...

It is still a fabulous place, but having to work and face those traffic jams daily seems unimaginable. We were in San Francisco for seven years in the 1970s and did not own a car for much of that time. I think some sort of stationary strategy may still be the key to a successful life there.

JR Smith said...

A nice series of photographs here and interesting narrative. When I visit Southern CA, I am amazed that the whole place operates at all-so many people and cars. But Los Angeles and San Diego are breathtaking, the weather is nearly perfect all of the time and the beaches sun-drenched.

Your stationary strategy is about right. When I drive in to San Francisco, about an hour south of where I live, I park the car for the day and head out on foot. Easier, less stressful.

Mike said...

I was a bit surprised that the great majority of drivers are actually quite polite; they make room for lane changers and don't do anything terribly stupid. Of course, there are a small number of people who weave in and out and drive way too fast. And the motorcyclists scooting through traffic look like death on wheels.

I barely got out of Palos Verdes during the one summer I spent in LA as a kid. My uncle's factory was just a short drive from home, and the rest of the time I was at the beach.

JR Smith said...

I feel that California drivers are probably the most courteous of anywhere I have driven extensively: New York, Arizona, North Carolina,Texas and New Mexico. We are also very aware and respectful of pedestrians. When you cross a street on foot in Phoenix, you're never certain of making it to the other side.

astrobeck said...

This is a great snippet of your trip and the UWS and the Kodak did it up perfectly in your hands.
The UWS is a much underrated camera IMHO. Really nice photos Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Mike said...

I was happy to have an excuse to get back to using the vuws after ignoring it for quite a time. The wide angle of the vuws has some of the same character that I like in pinhole images, and it is a lot more convenient to use given the good two-element lens and a shutter that snaps at about 1/125.

jon campo said...

I have never seen that part of Califonia, it looks very idealic. You got some nice pictures too Mike, looks like a fun trip. Glad you survived the freeway.