Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Moving Along

 The f2/38mm lens on the Pen-FT continues to impress me with its performance in a wide variety of situations.



I met three of my fellow film photographers for coffee at a shop on Central in Albuquerque.  The half-frame vertical format encourages this kind of composite of adjacent frames.

I've shot about ten rolls of Kentmere in the Olympus Pen-FT now, and it and the fine F.Zuiko lens have performed faultlessly.  I am, however, hearing some faint grumbling comments coming from the cabinet holding my other old cameras about neglect.  I'm out of 35mm film at the moment, but I have quite a pile of Kentmere and Fomapan 120 in the refrigerator's film drawer, so there is likely some medium format in my near future.

I've run into a bump in the road regarding film scanning.  My ancient Dell computer running XT is again refusing to boot up.  That means I have lost access to my favored Silverfast for scanning and Photoshop CS2 for editing.  The pictures in this post were done with VueScan and Gimp on my old IMAC. The results aren't awful, but it takes me a lot more time and effort to get to images I consider acceptable.

2 comments:

Kodachromeguy said...

Nice. Have you tried this 38mm lens on a µ4/3 digital camera? The results might have a nice new/old vibe.

Mike said...

My only digital cameras don't even make a bulge in my pocket.
I think people are able to use the Pen lenses on the Olympus digitals and I'm sure the result would be outstanding.