Monday, June 21, 2021

Vito III Progress

 I did a couple morning walks through Albuquerque's Old Town with my Voigtländer Vito III; the film was Kentmere 400.  I have gotten a little more comfortable with the unconventional layout of the controls.  However, I am still having a little difficulty framing my shots to properly account for parallax error.


The camera's shutter seems to be working well at all speeds.  The Ultron lens is performing close to my expectations for it.  I still have not summoned to courage to try cleaning the viewfinder, but it is ok for any outdoor setting.





This was my first roll of film with a new bottle of Legacypro L110 developer.  I was pleased to see that it performed well with the Kentmere film, showing no apparent under-exposure.  When I emptied the previous half-used bottle I saw that there was a large, viscous mass at the bottom which probably indicated that some of the components had precipitated out, leaving a weakened developing solution.  For this roll I used dilution-E for 5.5 minutes at 24.5C to cope with an overly warm ambient temperature.

6 comments:

Jim Grey said...

With your old bottle of L110, were you getting poor results?

I divided my L110 into four smaller bottles, as somewhere I read that the stuff prefers minimal contact with air. This let me work from a smaller working bottle. But I found that after so long using one of the sub-bottles, the stuff had turned dark red-brown and I started getting mixed results. Switching to the next full bottle solved it.

Mike said...

I used HC110 and L110 for a long time and got good results with many types of b&w film. I think the problems I experienced with the last bottle was not due to oxidation, but rather to some of the components separating out and leaving behind a weakened solution. I think your storage precautions with L110 are the right ones, but I'll also likely try shaking the bottle a bit before each use.

JR Smith said...

The shot of the woman on the balcony is quite nice. A very pleasing range of tones. Love the sun and shadows. Nice work!

Mike said...

It was a Sunday morning, so I guess she was dressed for church services. She was a very cooperative subject, so I should have made more shots.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

I especially Like the light on the scene of the fellow on a ladder fixing the restaurant (store?) And the photograph of the vertical bars on an iron gate. Nicely done.

Mike said...

The Ultron has a lot of potential to explore yet. I'm not sure it is better than the Xenons on my Retinas, but it seems right up there with the best of those times.