Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Nikon F + HP5 + Xtol

I loaded some HP5 into my Nikon F and went on one of my usual walks through the neighborhood to the Old Town Plaza.  Something about this camera inspires me to see old subjects in a new light, and I finished up the roll before I was back home.

The Nikon F is arguably the best buy in my collection of old cameras; it would have been a bargain at two or three times the price.  It shows little signs of use and everything works smoothly and precisely.  The shutter is accurate and quiet.  The Nikon lenses are all fine performers.


I processed the HP5 in Xtol at 1+1 dilution and was very pleased to see the best results I have gotten from this developer.  The grain and tonal spectrum were near perfect with little need for Photoshop adjustments.










4 comments:

Rick said...

That's always a win to be able to get scannable negatives without having to adjust them after the fact. My last few outings with HP5+, it seems like I've had good results using a yellow filter. It's amazing that your Nikon F is going so strong. My own main workhorse, a Canon A1, is showing some signs of shutter lag. It's even been CLA'ed in the last three years or so. I'm starting to wonder if it's developing an electronics problem, which will be beyond my ability to address.

Mike said...

HP5 seems like it is very good stuff. I have a pretty good supply, so am looking forward to getting to know it better and trying some filters. I've gotten good results from it with PMK processing, but xtol does not require losing a stop of exposure and the grain still looks very fine.
My Nikon F seems very solid. I'll next use it with the nice 105mm.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Nice job with your HP5. And your F is a superb photographic instrument. I used one for a decade before selling it to a friend. And the old manual-focus lenses are excellent. Hint for your F: start looking for the different focus screens.

Mike said...

I like the screen I now have in the F, but I haven't had a chance to look at the alternatives. I do have some local friends with Nikons, so I'll try to get a look at what they are using. I'm thinking I could probably use some additional lenses including a 135 and a good zoom.