Thursday, May 07, 2020

HP5 in PMK Pyro

My film comparison project has gotten a bit off track due to Ilford's recent price increase which brings its costs nearer to what Kodak is charging for similar films.  Still, HP5 is a good choice in terms of quality, so optimizing its processing seems a worthy goal.
    One of the characteristics of Kodak's TMAX that has always appealed to me is its capacity to produce some nice smooth sky tones without the use of filters.  HP5 in PMK seems to get quite close to TMAX in that regard with fine grain and a broad tonal spectrum yielding good detail in both highlights and shadows.  I have found that with any of the films I have been using lately that it is important to exercise some care in burning and levels adjustment in order to avoid emphasizing grain in the midtones.





Here are prices at B&H Photo as of May 6th.

TMAX 400.......$7.99
Tri-X.................$6.49
Ilford HP5.........$5.99
Kentmere 400.. $4.99

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

Very pleasing range of tones in that first shot. That is the way I like my black and white to look. Nice across all the zones.

Mike said...

I think HP5 probably does well in a lot of developers. I've wanted to try it in Xtol, but haven't got to that yet.