Thursday, September 19, 2019

Focus

I decided to make another attempt to properly collimate the f3.5 Anastar lens on my Kodak Reflex II. The process can be accomplished by focusing at infinity on a ground glass at the focal plane, or by holding open the shutter and using an slr to focus through the camera's objective lens on a target at the film plane.

Four little set screws in the black rim around the objective are loosened so that the lens can be rotated to obtain the sharpest image at infinity focus.  Once that was accomplished I loaded some Fomapan 100 and made 12 exposures in a variety of situations to challenge the camera's focal accuracy.



The shots of Ho Baron's Head Games sculpture were close up at f4.



I think I've got it right this time.  I'm pleased to have the Reflex II working properly as it is a favorite among my twin lens reflex cameras.  The Kodak tlr is relatively easy to work on, the view is bright, the shutter is reliable and the coated lens is very sharp.

3 comments:

Jim Grey said...

That's a handsome camera. I hope to come upon one someday to try.

JR Smith said...

I was not even aware that our friends in Rochester made a TLR. I always learn new stuff here! Keep it up!!

Mike said...

I think the Reflex II may have been Kodak's last attempt domestically at a precision camera. After that they relied on their German subsidiary with the Retina line.
I see the Kodak Reflexes come up pretty often on Ebay. The Reflex II has coated lenses and an image brightness enhancer in the viewfider which the earlier Reflex I model lacked. The 1A model also had those features I think, though I'm not sure about the lens coating.