Sunday, October 08, 2023

Arista

 I was given a roll of Arista Edu Ultra 200 some time ago.  I liked the results I got from it when developed in Rodinal, so I got a bulk roll and tried it with a variety of developers, none of which really produced results that I liked, including my last roll which I processed in Caffenol.  I have picked the three images from that last effort which seems to best show the film's potential, which I think is quite nice in regard to grain and tonality.



I've got at least a couple rolls of Arista left in the bulk loader, so I'll take another whack at it, paying more attention to shooting technique and processing.  I'll try rating the film at 100 ASA and maybe give it a little more time in the development as well.

7 comments:

Jim Grey said...

Before I started developing my own film, Arista 200 was my favorite b/w. I shot it at box speed and it always looked stunning. But now that I develop it myself, I have yet to find the right combination of shooting speed and developer. The conventional wisdom is to shoot this film at 125 and develop normally. I got the best results doing this with Adox HR-DEV, but that's not exactly a common everyday developer, or one that I keep on hand normally.

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing that experience with Arista. I have to confess I like it largely for the price, but it does seem to have some potential for excellence that I have yet to pin down.

JR Smith said...

Very nice range of tones in the bottom shot of the machinery. As I shift all of my analog photography to black and white, I need to give this film a try.

Mike said...

Arista and Kentmere are about the only films I'm buying these days. I was initially enthusiastic about the I'm Back digital conversion project, but it gets less appealing the more I learn about it.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

I'm Back? People have talked about such a conversion device for two decades. As far as I know, Leica was the only company to make a successful conversion back for their R8 and R9 bodies, their Digital-Modul-R. It was optically superb, but wow what a price. Buy one, Mike, and write a review for us.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Oops, I was referring to the 35mm format. Some medium format companies offered digital backs on and off over the years.

Mike said...

The initial reports of the new 35mm back made it appear that the device would be entirely self-contained within the body of the camera. It turns out quite the opposite. Even with that I would still be interested, but $800 would buy a lot of film, even at today's prices.