Pages

▼

Monday, October 13, 2025

Brooklyn, 1967

 I'm having some trouble getting out to make new pictures with my recently acquired Nikon S. (I blame the weather.)  So, until the weather improves, I thought I would show some more portraits from the first Nikon S made before the Chinatown series.




In spite of their imperfections these shots of two Brooklyn kids earned me a year's membership at the Museum of Modern Art.  That was crucial in my development as a photographer as it gave me a first hand look at actual prints by people like Weston and Adams.


I made quite a few portraits with the Nikon S, some of them while I was attending the commercial photography course in Manhattan.  I got no credit for the pictures because they were made on 35mm rather than the large format equipment used in the classes.  I also spent some time walking around the streets of Brooklyn and grabbing shots which I coulld sell to the local newspapers.


3 comments:

  1. The construction photo is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I had forgotten about it until I recently went through an old portfolio looking for Nikon S photos. I'm sorry I don't have any of the negatives from that time as my printing skills were not very good in those days.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 7 days will not be published until reviewed.