Sunday, August 20, 2017

nice rides


Saturday morning found me and my Foth Derby at a motorcycle swap meet near the railroad tracks on Central Avenue.



One block to the west was a long line of low riders, most on trailers, waiting to get into a car show at the Convention Center.




The overcast sky was a challenge for the expired Portra 160.  I lowered the shutter speed to 1/50, but most of the shots were still a bit under-exposed at f9.0.  I knew that would be the case, but a wider aperture would have given too little depth of focus for the subject.  I had to do some fancy PhotoShop work to get acceptable color and contrast, with variable results.


I'm mostly happy with interesting results from the expired bulk Portra 160, but it would be a nice change of pace to shoot some higher speed black and white film which would be better suited to the camera and its rather sharp Foth Anastigmat lens.  I'm trying to talk myself into making some sort of film splitter to produce 127-size film from 120 roll film.

4 comments:

Jim Grey said...

The only source for fast 127 film I know of is The Frugal Photographer and their Bluefire Murano 400, but it's currently out of stock. At almost $12 a roll it's a luxury item anyway.

I'd love to shoot my Kodak Brownie Starmatic more, and Porta 160 is well suited to it (I've shot this film in it before). If I had a source of reasonably-priced 127 I'd even like to get one of the 127 Yashica TLRs.

Mike said...

See my next post.

Anonymous said...

Good grief, that's a sharp lens. And I love the Derby's compactness. I usually cart around my Vollenda for 127 because it's so tiny... but the images pale in comparison to the Derby.

Mike said...

Well, that's good to hear. I always assumed the Volenda was the ultimate 127 camera, so I'll have to recalibrate my ideas on the subject. I did recently pick up a Ihagee 127 folder that looks terrific, but the focus is off and I have no idea how to correct this type of unit focus.