Friday, July 21, 2017

Sorting out 828

I shot my second roll of Konica 160 in my Kodak Flash Bantam.  I gave the expired film a couple stops extra exposure and got good density in the negatives on this roll.  With no sprocket holes in the film which I would have with the 35mm I have shot in the past, the images take advantage of the full 828 format as shown in this full-frame scan.


Those bumps in the upper right of the image are produced by actual notches in the camera's framing mask.  I've made numerous inquiries about the purpose of this feature in the Bantam cameras, but have never received a satisfactory explanation about what purpose it might have served.



Using the 35mm film holder in my Epson scanner chops a bit off the long sides of the image.  I take that into account when framing my images in the viewfinder, but I do get somewhat panoramic proportions from the scans.



I was pleased with this roll of film to have gotten the film strip properly placed in the backing paper to be able to get the expected number of images from the strip with a little extra at each end.  The framing numerals were easily visible in the window on the camera's back and I got perfectly spaced images as a result.  There were some light leaks on the image at the beginning of the film strip and again toward the end.  I'll try adding some extra space to the backing paper at the beginning and end of the roll the next time.  So, still a bit of work to get everything just right, but using the properly configured film and backing paper makes shooting my 828 cameras a lot more predictable and enjoyable.

7 comments:

JR Smith said...

Nice images. With all of the variables here, it must be very satisfying to see the good results. Well done!

Mike said...

The Kodak Flash Bantam is a contender for favorite camera status. I'm looking forward to shooting it more often with properly configured roll film.

jon campo said...

Wow, nice images Mike. I really like the rich colors you got.

Jim Grey said...

Outstanding. I believe these are the first modern 828 images I've seen without sprocket holes.

There's a Canon scanner still available new on Amazon that takes 35mm and 120. It's the only flatbed scanner I know of that takes 120. I wonder how hard it would be to fashion an 828 mask for it.

Mike said...

My old Epson 2450 flatbed has film holders for 35mm, mounted slides, 120 and 4x5. Each of the film holding frames has a cutout at the top center that is about 1/2 inch by 4 inches. I think you could likely make any custom frame as long as that cutout was included.
When I want to scan a non-supported format, or just 35mm to include the sprocket holes I lay the film directly on the glass within the 120 or 4x5 openings with the emulsion side down to minimize newton rings. That works ok, but squarely positioning the film is a little fiddly.

I'm mostly ok with using the 35mm holder and losing a little of the 828 frame. It would be nice to have something more efficient for 127 scanning, however, as I have enough bulk 127 to do about 40 rolls. I'm thinking that running a little supporting strip of plastic film down the center of the 4x5 holder would accommodate two strips of 127.

James Harr said...

Nice shots Mike. I like both the full frame and the pano crop. Credit to your ability to visualize a crop through the viewfinder. I have never been good at that. Keep up the good work. I am trolling the auction sites for a Bantam RF that needs a good home.

Mike said...

I see the Flash Bantam and the older models often offered at modest prices. They often need a shutter cleaning. That is not difficult, but I've never been able to manage it without popping off one of the little tabs that change the shutter speed and aperture. That does not affect functionality, but I hate to damage the appearance of Kodak's prettiest camera.