Pages

Monday, April 03, 2017

(semi) stand by me

I shot a roll today of Arista Edu Ultra 400 in the Spotmatic and processed it with semi-stand development in hc-110.  I thought I might get a little less grain and contrast.  I'm not sure the results were that much different from what I would have gotten from my usual hc-110b mixture, but getting any sort of images with just 4ml of developer in 640ml of water does seem impressive.  I used a recipe for tri-x semi-stand from hjlphotos on tumblr.




Margaret's new dog, Roxie

6 comments:

JR Smith said...

I've been reading up a bit lately on stand development processes. Your results here have encouraged me to experiment a bit.

Mike said...

I thought the results from hc-110 turned out pretty well. Because you are exhausting the development capacity of the solution the time and temperature of the process are not very critical. At the same time, however, it is important to use enough of the solution at the recommended dilution to ensure that the development process can proceed to completion. I found that I had to use the taller of my two Patterson tanks to hold the 640ml.

Jim Grey said...

If you hadn't said that you did stand development on these, I wouldn't have guessed.

Mike said...

I'll probably try this again using Rodinal since I just got a new bottle. I normally use it at 1:50 dilution and have gotten good results with TMAX 100, Tri-X, and especially Acros.

astrobeck said...

I've never tries stand development, but have always been intrigued by it since some seem to like it a lot. Your post has renewed my interest in trying it.

I like your idea of using Rodinal.

jon campo said...

Looks good Mike. The dog is adorable.