Monday, May 28, 2012

New Toy



Margaret bought me a Kindle.  I got the Touch model because it allows setting your own default dictionary and retrieving definitions with a single touch.  I was three-quarters of the way through the paperback of Tolstoy's Anna Kerenina when I got it, so I bought the Kindle Spanish edition for 99 cents and finished the book that way.  Also picked up a Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary and installed it, and found that it works very well.  Yesterday, I started Los Cuatro Jinetes del Apocalipsis by Blasco Ibáñez which I downloaded free from Project Gutenberg.

As illustrated above, the Kindle is also a pretty good platform for displaying and publishing photographs.  I'll have more to say about that once I've learned more about the process.

2 comments:

Julio F said...

B&W pictures look reasonably well on the e-book display. Not a large silver print, but I can't do that anyway.

Gutenberg project and automated dictionaries add a lot of value to e-readers.

Glad to hear you are practicing your Spanish!

Mike said...

I've only scratched the surface with this technology. I finished Los Quatro Jinetes and have moved on to La Barraca by the same author. It is more of a challenge because of the vocabulary derived from rural pre-republican Spain. I'm hoping I can keep at it because we have a friend who has conducted an oral history project over many years about the effects of the civil war on a small village near Barcelona.