Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Color

Albuquerque's Botanical Garden is a twenty minute walk from my house.



This Coopers Hawk found itself trapped briefly in the desert side of the conservatory, but it soon found a way out.







When I visit the heritage farm section at the back of the gardens I am always reminded of the years we lived in southern Idaho. I worked for a time there as the caretaker of the fairgrounds in Glenns Ferry. The place was pretty run down when I started, but there was a lot of lumber and paint laying around the grounds. I built benches and planters and painted all the buildings and fences. I watered the grass with long lines of aluminum pipe, and I fertilized it by hauling around a manure spreader behind a big old Farmall tractor. When we got close to the opening date for the fair I hired a crew and built a pole barn with new stalls for the pigs and sheep. It turned out to be the best job I would ever have, though I didn't know that at the time.

No comments: